Tuesday, October 16, 2012

36 weeks.... 38 weeks.... Who really cares at this point!?!

Photobucket

I think we may have found out why I'm so so sooooo tired.

Little man is huge. He is currently measuring what Harper weighed at birth and I'm supposed to be a little over 36 weeks. So what does this mean, you may ask? It means either 1) my due date is wrong; 2) little man is just growing rapidly; or 3) I have the (very) late onset of gestational diabetes. I, myself, haven't gained any weight in about two months, but little man is already over 7 pounds. You heard that right, people.... 7 pounds with 4 weeks to go!

Late last week my doctor thought I should be tested (again!) for gestational diabetes. I was already tested back in my second trimester (most women are) and I was fine. So why was I tested again so late in my pregnancy? I'm not so sure. My doctor said it is because they want to know what we are dealing with, and that he doesn't want the baby to get over 8 pounds. A fetus, at this stage, gains about half a pound to a pound a week. So if I have four weeks to go, and he's already 7 1/2 pounds, and this baby goes to 40 weeks.... well, YOU DO THE MATH. You know how they say a woman's body can handle a large baby? Not so much if a woman is 115 pounds pre-pregnancy and your baby is, say, 12 pounds at birth. This makes for a very dangerous situation. And by the way he is growing, we may very well have a 12 pound baby if they let me go to 40 weeks. And that, my friends, ain't going to happen, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Looks like baby is going to be an October baby after all! Maybe before the zodiac change... because, let's face it, people... I'd much rather have a Libra boy than a Scorpio boy (no offense).

1 comment:

AKK said...

Holy Moly! I think it's time for little Baby W to come on out! You don't need any more tears down there!