Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mastitis

I had a touch of mastitis last week and to say that I was in excruciating pain is the understatement of the year.

I woke up last Wednesday and fed Adler on one breast, but didn't have enough time to pump the other breast. I thought I'd make it to work and pump as soon as I walked through the door, but I didn't have time and, well, my 9am pumping session turned to 10:30am and my boobies were literally about to explode. I probably should have pumped more than I did, but in about 7 minutes, I had already pumped 6 ounces! A few hours and one other pumping session later, I had managed to pump 19 ounces in two pumping sessions and I still felt full! Problems up ahead! Or should I say below?

The next day I woke up feeling not-so-well and my breast felt as though it would feel better if someone just put an ax to it and took it completely off. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I go to the doctor or should I wait it out? I went to work and literally winced and moaned my way through the day. The other assistant I work with in my office kept asking me if I was ok. It wasn't good! On top of the pain, I felt sick. I felt feverish and achy.

I wrote my La Leche League chapter leader for advice. No reply! So I did what I thought I should do and pumped and nursed as much as possible. On Friday, I felt much better. Still very sore, but better! Over the weekend, I felt bruised, but better!

Women's bodies are an interesting thing. Since I've had children, I have this totally different sense of what a woman can do. We make babies and feed and nurture babies. We are amazing. Today, I'm back to normal... But my supply has dramatically decreased! Which would probably be bad for most breastfeeding mommies - but I'm now exactly where I need to be! I'm no longer overproducing.

Doesn't look like I'll be donating breastmilk any time soon, but that's ok, right?

No comments: