Wednesday, March 28, 2012

THE WALK
DATE: 05.07.10 TIME: 10:49 AM

Photobucket

If you knew me, you wouldn’t deny that I’m a high energy person. I walk fast. I work out. I was a dancer and cheerleader when I was younger. I opt to take a brisk 11 minute walk to my subway stop instead of taking a bus. I do pilates and I go to the gym and take classes that force you to ride a stationary bicycle so fast that when you’re done with the 45-minute class, you feel like your legs are going to fall off. I’m a woman who is lucky enough to say that my thighs have never rubbed together - EVER. I’ve never in my life been above 116 pounds except for that super short time in college where I didn’t know how to cook anything other than pasta. I know, I know what all of you are thinking….. “Pooorrrr Becky! Poor Becky put on 20 pounds because she is pregnant and will probably lose it immediately after she pops that baby out!” I know you’re thinking this because my mom has flat out said it OUT LOUD! HA!

So with that short explanation, you can understand my frustration when I say I’ve somehow become immobile over the past couple of weeks. Really! Once in a while, Charlie will leave with me in the morning because he has to be a work a bit earlier than the usual 10:30am time. I have to be at work at 9am because I work in the corporate world, so of course, I’m commuting with the rest of the corporate population to get to work at 9am while people who work in the creative world get to straggle in to work at 10:30am! Me, bitter? NO.

As we make our way down the four flights (that will be covered in a post soon to come) of stairs in our lovely Brooklyn apartment building, I remind my wonderful husband that I can not walk as fast as usual and that walking will add 3-4 minutes to the commute. He understands and says he has no problem with that. Until we get half way there and I realize he is looking at his watch WAY. TOO. MUCH. I tell him to go ahead of me - that I don’t want him to be late - that I am having a hard time keeping up with him. And before I know it, the person I love more than anything in the world decides that he is going to walk ahead of me and allow his pregnant wife to walk the rest of the trail alone. Booooo.

Honestly, it didn’t bother me too much. I just enjoy making a joke about how Charlie is usually a very calm person and takes his time with things. It’s one of the reasons I fell in love with him in the first place because he grounds me. But come on! I’m usually the one saying…. “YO! What the hell is taking you so long! MOVE IT!” But now that I’m the one moving slow, it’s time for him to GO! GO! GO!

Don’t feel too bad about me walking alone. I called my mom and bitched to her instead. I only had 5 minutes left to walk, and when I walked down those stairs to catch my train, my beautiful husband was there waiting for me.

No comments: